One of the main reasons you need .ico file is none other than Favicon.ico. You may attach favicon.ico to your web pages so visitors can easily see a small icon on the address bar of your site and when they have bookmarked your site.
Icon images should be added in Windows icon files in around 3 sizes, 64×64, 16×16 and 32×32. Well, 16×16 is enough for favicon.ico. In this article, we are going to discuss how to convert PNG into an icon without any problem and as easily as icing on a cake.
What is Favicon?
Favicon is actually a small graphical icon associated with a website or a page. It is displayed in bookmarks and tabs of many browsers. As the name suggests, Favicon was initially developed by Internet Explorer where it termed bookmark sites as ‘favorites’. Later on, it was named as favicon.
Steps to Convert PNG to Icon
- Find the image you want to use as Favicon and be sure dimensions are square (100p x 100p).
- Go to the location of file on your PC and choose the image.
- Press the button “Generate Favicon”
- Right click on your ‘Favicon’. Download, rename and upload favicon.ico to the root directory.
- Copy and pass the following code to <head> section of webpage –
<link rel=”icon” href=”/favicon.ico”>
Keep in mind that this code will work in all latest browsers, including Chrome and Internet Explorer 11. You may use phrase shortcut instead of simply an icon to be compatible to older versions of Internet Explorer – <link rel=”shortcut icon” href=”/favicon.ico”>.
You may also use Favicon Converter png to icon for retina favicon for Apple Touch devices. You just have to do some additional works. You have to stick to certain resolutions and choose background color for metro UI tile favicons in Windows 8 and Windows 10.